Join us. Share your passion for music
Applications to open mid February
19-21 June 2020
Wimbledon International Summer Piano Competition
A love for music and specifically for the piano has inspired us to create this international piano competition in Wimbledon, South West London.
The aim is to offer both younger and the more experienced pianists, and recreational as well as highly motivated pianists the opportunity to perform on a first-class grand in the superb new concert hall of King’s College School, Wimbledon. Most will choose the competitive option, but we also offer non-competitive categories.
Why enter the WISPC?
- Outstanding Steinway Model D concert grand piano (built in 2018) for all performances
- Beautiful, award-winning concert hall with first-class acoustics
- Excellent facilities, including a warmup room (for the more advanced performers)
- Three experienced judges who will provide verbal and written feedback after the performances in each category
- Certificate of participation for every performer. Medals to the best performances in each category. Crystal awards and/or cash prizes for the best performances in the finals.
- The opportunity for everyone to enjoy performing in a positive and encouraging environment.
These will take place on Friday, 19th June (6.00 until 9.00pm) and Saturday, 20th June (9.00am until 6.00pm). Please click HERE to view details for the individual categories that can be entered. It is possible to enter one, two, three or all four of the following categories (in either competitive, or non-competitive classes):
- Grades 1-8 pieces
- Free Choice pieces
- Concerto movement(s)
- Duets or Trios
The judges will select the best performances in the first rounds (competitive classes only) for participation in the finals on Sunday, 21st June from 11.00am till 1.30pm. The categories will be as follows:
- Grades 1 and 2
- Grades 3, 4 and 5
- Grades 6, 7 and 8
- 10 years and under free choice pieces
- 11 – 12 years free choice pieces
- 13 – 15 years free choice pieces
- 16 – 18 years free choice pieces and diploma
- Adults free choice pieces
- Duets and Trios – only the winners of this category will perform in the finals
- Concerto movement(s) – only the winner of this category will perform in the finals
The judges will award bronze, silver and gold medals in each category of the first rounds.
The special prizes – Crystal awards – will be presented to the winners in the Finals.
There will be a prize for the best performance of a work, or movement(s) of a work by Ludwig van Beethoven, in the light of the worldwide celebrations of the 250th anniversary of the great composer’s birth.
Please note, PayPal is currently the only payment method our application form offers.
We have several categories divided into competitive and non-competitive types and further sub-divided into free choice of pieces and grades 1-8 exam board syllabus pieces.